Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Meet my new BFF........

.........the Eureka Enviro Steamer. I am officially in LOVE.


Let me tell you how this relationship began. A few weeks ago I was running on the treadmill and watching an infomercial (I know........) about the Shark Vac & Steam (or Steam & Vac). I was instantly intrigued by the idea of cleaning my hard-surface floors using only water and not chemicals. I have wood laminate floors over the majority of our main living space and vinyl tile in a large area downstairs. I had previously cleaned my hard surfaces using a Swiffer with an old washcloth and spraying all-purpose cleaner on the floor. While that system was working okay I never felt the floors were truly clean. So......after my little informercial incident I did a little steam experiment. I boiled some water in a glass measuring cup in my microwave. Then I poured it into a plastic spray bottle and squirted it onto my floor and wiped it up with my Swiffer and washcloth. It worked brilliantly.........even my youngest son commented that the floor felt very smooth under his cute little bare feet. There was a problem, however. I did not anticipate how beastly HOT a plastic spray bottle is with boiling water in it. I had to hold it with a hot pad to be able to squirt it and it eventually caused the spray bottle (which obviously was not designed to spray BOILING WATER) to malfunction. Still, this little experiment convinced me to take the plunge and buy a steam mop. I did quite a bit of research on Amazon before deciding on the Eureka Enviro Steam. I just got it today and immediately ripped the box open and cleaned my whole upstairs and, later, the downstairs. This baby even gets the gunk up. If you come to a sticky spot you just hold the mop over that spot for....no less than 8 and no more than 15 seconds.....and the gunk pretty much comes right up. I can't say enough for this product. It is probably one of the best investments I've made in cleaning supplies. And now I don't have to buy floor cleaner anymore which will also save a ton of money.

Do you see how the camera flash reflected on the GLEAMING tile in the photo below?



Oh, I love you, Eureka Enviro Steamer!




This is what the pad looked like after cleaning the vinyl tile in my basement. Yuck! These can be tossed in the wash but have to be air-dried so they don't shrink. I would love to hear from you if you have had good luck with a steam mop.


4 comments:

Anna said...

I want one of these. I have all hard floors (wood and tile) downstairs. I do have a swiffer but don't use it that much (and the refills are expensive). Lately I have been vaccuming everything with my Dyson and then I go around on the tile and spot clean with a spray bottle of cleaner and a towel.

Anyway, thanks for your preview, I may have to buy one soon!

Gigi said...

You make me laugh! I would have never thought of doing your experiment first!! You are great!

I have all wood floors and never feel they are completely clean. I'm going to research this for wood floors. I would love to also hear what is a good floor vac.

Tamara Kidd said...

I just bought a Bissell Spot cleaner so that I can shampoo the back seat of my car... oh I'm in love! I would LOVE a steam cleaner for my floors but it's a rental and I know my particular polished floors wouldn't handle it. They are such a great idea! I'm perfectly happy with my spot cleaner though and it's had a good go on my rugs with great results too!

Meanwhile my floors will just have to deal with my bagless vac and occasional mopping (which my 6 year old son loves doing anyway!)

Unknown said...

i think i need one of these for christmas. thank you for the review and the idea. i didn't even know these existed!