Monday, March 30, 2009

My Life. In Pictures. Day 1: Something new

If you read last night's post, I predicted that you wouldn't guess what I was going to photograph for my "something new" for Amber's photo challenge. Well, if you guessed that I would photograph a toilet brush, either you have ESP or are an extremely creative thinker. And below you will see my new toilet brush in its cool little container. I bought it on Sunday at Target for $5.99.


I am excited about my new toilet brush because it symbolizes what I hope will be a turning point in my life. Specifically, it represents my desire to have a clean home and to incorporate cleaning into my daily routines so I don't become overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. I wrote a lot last night about using the ideas and checklists from Flylady to help me. One new thing I took from her website that I'm going to incorporate into my morning routine is Swish and Swipe. This is such a quick and simple thing to add to my morning routine, yet I would never have thought to do this every day without reading about it. I am so excited about how fresh and clean our main bathroom is going to be as a result. In case you don't want to or don't have time to click on the Swish and Swipe link, I'll describe it here in a nutshell and then you'll also know what the hot pink stuff in the bottom of my new toilet brush container is. OK........each morning as you are getting ready for the day, you grab a bottle of all-purpose cleaner or glass cleaner and spot clean your bathroom mirror with a paper towel or old washcloth (I'm going green and using old cut-up washcloths), then use the same cloth and cleaner to quickly spray down your counter and sink (easy because you have gotten into the habit of putting everything away when you are done getting ready.............this will be a new one for me.........I always just leave stuff all over the counter), then you quickly clean your toilet (the SWISH part) by swishing the toilet brush around in your toilet. Flylady recommends keeping some kind of cleaner such as old shampoo (I bought cheap dishwashing detergent) in the bottom of the toilet brush container and using that to quickly swish your toilet. Last step is to use the rag from the sink/counter to wipe down the back, seat, rim, and sides of your toilet, then the floor. 1-2 minutes and you are done! Doesn't that sound easy? The key is to have all the cleaning stuff right there in your bathroom so you can quickly grab it and do a Swish and Swipe. I LOVE THIS! My bathroom is already smelling really fresh just from the dish soap in the toilet brush holder.

11 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

How cool is this idea?! I've just been turned on to Fly Lady recently, and I love it! Good luck with the new routine!

Anonymous said...

love the tip!

Amber D. said...

Love it! I think the short daily routines is the way to go with keeping the cleaning under control and not feeling overwhelmed!

Debbie Phillips said...

Great Post

I am doing the photo challenge too

see you tomorrow

Alicia said...

So fun...and helpful!

Sandy said...

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing:0)

Farmer Gal said...

We must be on some strange sort of similar wavelength, because my post involves toilets too... What are the chances? If you're interested, it's on my photography page.

Who knew toilets could be so deep and meaningful? ;)

MJW said...

Awesome post - very deep for a toilet brush :) See ya tomorrow!

Sheri said...

Nice to showcase something which usually goes unmentioned. Have fun this week swishing away!

Anna Q said...

That's a great idea to keep cleaner in the toilet brush container! I'm going to see if that will work for my brush container.

Julie said...

I followed FlyLady several years ago but could never get past keeping my kitchen sink clean. It all seemed to pile up so quickly.

On that note, I want a new toilet brush now! I like that tip. I usually use a Clorox wipe and clean off the sink area then the toilet. But, I need to add in the "Swish" part. Oh, I also do my floor quickly with a wipe.