Monday, March 22, 2010

HopAlong is doing well :-)

I wanted to post a quick update to my last (gruesome) post. Sarah is doing really well with only 1 leg. We kept her inside the first night, then put her back out with the flock the next day. We tried to change her bandage this weekend but it quickly fell off so we are leaving it uncovered. Her stump looks like it is healing nicely. She is quickly adapting to her new condition. In fact, yesterday when I went outside to get a photo of her I took a ripe banana with me. I tossed several chunks into the yard for the chickens to eat. They LOVE bananas. Sarah, on a single leg, totally beat Arthur the rooster to a chunk of banana and ran off with it before he had a clue what was going on. This is very impressive since she has only one leg and is less than half the size of him. I was really happy for her, especially since she still has to fend off his "romantic" advances on only one leg. There is a lot of truth to the saying, "Like a rooster in a henhouse." You can see from the picture below that she is looking healthy and happy. I am SO glad.



No comments: