Monday, August 24, 2009

No more chickens in the bathroom

Yes, folks. After a bazillion trips to Home Depot and MANY hours of hard work, our chicken coop and yard are finished. I moved the girls in last night. I worried about them a lot because I knew the temperatures would be pretty cold compared to what they have been used to in my BATHROOM. I checked on them at about 11:30 p.m. for the last time, taking a flashlight out and peeking in on them. They were all huddled up in a corner keeping warm. When I went out at 6:30 a.m. they were still all huddled in the corner. I started talking to them and petting them and they "woke up" and started moving around, eating, and drinking. I didn't think I'd have to wake up my chickens in the morning. Anyway, I was really glad to see they were all alive and well. I am pretty sure no predators will be able to penetrate the chicken equivalent of Fort Knox that DH and I have built. We have a few more details to finish before it's totally done, but it's "liveable" now. I went back to work today and taught preschool all morning. When my boys and I got home, I took the chicks out into their new "yard". They have been happily scratching and pecking out there all afternoon. They are also enjoying taking dust baths in the dirt. DH spent ALL AFTERNOON yesterday putting a roof on the yard so the little poultry princesses can be nice and dry even if it's raining (and he has a really sore back today because of his labors). They are too spoiled. Nothing but the best for our girls. :0)

I have to say that it's really nice to have my bathroom chicken-free. I thought I would miss hearing their little chirps and peeps when I went in the bathroom, but I really don't. I just like having all that floorspace back that was taken up with their brooder box. But now, what else am I going to write about? What else are DH and I going to do in every spare moment of our evenings and weekends if we don't have a big construction project to do? Actually, the timing of all this is perfect because we are all getting back into our fall schedules this week. THAT will require some major adjustments as we adapt to a much earlier wake-up time. I'm sure I'll find more things to write about. Hopefully I can report on all the great crafty stuff I'm working on. We'll see. The beginning of a new school year is always pretty hectic for me. OK, enough rambling. I'm going to stop and click "PUBLISH POST" now.

PS: I'm not sure if DH still reads this blog daily, but I'm really hoping he will want to get started soon on turning the other end of the shed into a fort for our boys. I have some really cool plans for that in my head and it will be MUCH easier now that we've done the coop.


Amber, That's Me! said...

I love the way it turned out!

Krystal said...

Lookin' good! It's good to hear your gals have a warm, safe place to nest.