Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Book Activity: If You Take a Mouse to the Movies & Popcorn strings

Tonight we did our second advent book activity. It looks like this week and next week our schedules will only allow us to do 2 books during the work week plus 2 on the weekends. That's making me really glad I didn't try to do 25 activities this year. My little boy unwrapped the book If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by Laura Numeroff. However, he didn't sit and read it with me and his brother. And I didn't force it. I don't want to ruin the spirit of the activities by forcing them on the boys. My oldest boy and I enjoyed the book. It is charming in the spirit of all the "If you give a mouse" books.







Since the mouse in the book makes a popcorn string to put on a Christmas tree that was our activity. My little boy didn't participate (other than eating a lot of the popcorn) but my big boy was able to string several pieces onto a thread and only poked himself once with the needle. No bloodshed, thankfully. He tired of doing it after stringing about 8 inches and I added a little more. Instead of making it a long string I just tied the ends together and made it into a circle which we hung on the tree. If you're interested, go read my original post about this book. I linked to an edible popcorn wreath recipe that looks fun, although we didn't make it.




Here's our popcorn "wreath" on the tree!






No comments: