Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Memories books

I was so thrilled when unpacking our Christmas decorations this year to find this little Christmas Memories book that my oldest son had made last Christmas. I had totally forgotten about it and it is definitely something I will always treasure. To make this I just took 2 sheets of printer paper and folded them in half. Then I cut a piece of Christmas scrapbook paper a little larger than 8 1/2 X 11 inches and folded it, placing the white pages inside. Using red thread and a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine, I stitched up the side. My son added the letter stickers to spell "Christmas Memories 08" and then illustrated and wrote on the inside pages. I forgot to photograph one page, but the sentence starters were: "My favorite gift was........., My favorite thing to do was.............., My favorite thing to eat was..........., And my favorite part was........." He did such a great job writing and illustrating the pages. I loved pulling it out this year. I am planning to make one for each boy this year. Obviously my 4 1/2 year old will need a little more help with the writing part, but he can definitely illustrate his ideas. If you would like to do this project and don't/can't sew, just staple the side or punch holes and tie or lace it with yarn or ribbon. I'm planning to get ours out every year to put in a special basket so we can look back at our past Christmases through the boys' eyes.



front cover







first page






close-up of his illustration of his favorite gift, the game "Mousetrap"






"favorite thing to eat" page





I loved reading that his favorite part was handing out gifts. Hopefully he will hang onto the joy of giving as he grows older.




1 comment: