Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our Easter shelf

I don't have many Easter decorations, a small fraction of what I have for Christmas. And truthfully, I usually forget to put out what I do have. This year I resolved to pull out what I could find to welcome spring into our home. The photo below shows how I've set up our decorations on the top of my boys' art shelf. I found the Easter egg lights in my "Easter decorations" tub and didn't even remember where I got them. I THINK I bought them at a thrift store or at a garage sale last summer, but I had totally forgotten that I had them. So that was a fun discovery to pull out of the tub!



Last year for Easter I sewed these two bunnies for my boys to add to their Easter baskets. I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I just used quilting cotton; however for the bunny on the left I put a piece of fleece between the cotton pieces on the ears. This made them stick up better and I would recommend doing that if you are making these using only cotton fabric. I used this free pattern from Wee Wonderfuls. I would like to make something by hand for the boys for their baskets this year, but haven't decided what to make yet. And (obviously) I don't have much time to figure it out. I have a few things bookmarked from Google Reader that look pretty easy and cute. We'll see.




Bunny buns!!




Last year I also made a bunch of these eggs. They have a tiny little secret pocket, just big enough to hold one jelly bean. My boys took these over to Grandma's house where we had Easter dinner and hid them around the house for the adults to find. Several of the adults wanted to keep theirs afterwards (mostly the women!) and the photo below shows the ones that were left. My littlest boy has been bugging me to put jellybeans in them. I used this free pattern to make them.




The next photo shows our Easter tree. Believe it or not, this is the first year since I've had my own children that we've put this up although I've had it since before I became a mother! The problem is that I store this with my Christmas things and notice it every year when I put away my Christmas decorations, then I forget about it until after Easter. Luckily I remembered this year and the boys had fun putting it up. I already had the eggs, but I just bought the carrot garland at my favorite local thrift store.......the one I'm always raving about here. I bought it for 75 cents and couldn't have been happier to find it!!




The other handmade decorations on our Easter shelf are the yarn nests that I made last weekend with the boys. You can see them in the photo below filled with Whoppers Easter egg candies.

I am so glad I pulled all our decorations out this year and set up our Easter shelf. It is a lovely reminder of the beauty of this season.

3 comments:

Gae said...

This is lovely. I put mine out on Easter morning. I really like your nests they are sweet.If I have time I might make them.

Anonymous said...

Love your "Easter Shelf"....

I love to decorate for the holidays, especially Christmas & Easter, both such meaningful celebrations of love.

God Bless you & your family, once again I must say it's so awesome to have a mentor like you.

Happy Easter

Evenspor said...

I was going to make my son a couple of jojoebi's chicks for his basket this year, but I can't find my yellow felt for some reason. Maybe I'll whip up a bunny and egg today when he's napping. Thanks for the links.