Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ix-Nay on the crackers; Thumbs Up! on the Carrot Spread

Last night I got ambitious and tried two recipes from Itty Bitty Bistro. I am so impressed with all the great homemade food this mommy makes for her family. The whole wheat crackers did NOT turn out for me. To be honest, I had misgivings from the start about my ability to make crackers. I don't have a food processor so I had to use my blender. I don't know if that made a difference or not. After I refrigerated the dough I had a hard time rolling it out any thinner. Anyway, I won't be making those again. However, the roasted carrot spread was AWESOME! I ate the whole batch. In my defense, neither of my boys liked it and I asked DH first to see if it was okay if I ate it all. I am definitely making it again and using 4 carrots this time. So totally yummy! I ate it with Kashi TLC crackers. I am salivating just thinking about it. Below is a photo of it. This is pretty much how much it makes if you only make one recipe. TIP: I did have to bake the carrots longer than 30 minutes. Next time I think I will cut them into chunks before wrapping them in foil and baking them. I totally felt like an Earth Mother making this, even though none of my Earth children ate it. My big boy wouldn't try it and the little one tried it and made a face. I enthusiastically asked him if it was the best thing he'd ever tasted in his life. He gave me a funny look and said, "No."

3 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for posting this - I've been really impressed with all of the great food ideas over at Itty Bitty Bistro too, but haven't dared try one yet. Sounds like I should...

Celeste said...

So glad you tried the recipes and enjoyed the carrot spread! Sorry the crackers didn't come out for you. I actually do think the food processor makes a difference when trying to make the dough come together. Ah well. :o)

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! You are the only person I know who can write something about shredded carrots and make it funny.