Friday, July 3, 2009

Patriotic Bunting

NOTE: It's insane, but this is my 7th post today. So if you are just clicking over here and want to know what we've been up to, scroll down 'cuz there's a lot more to read.

I have been wanting to sew a bunting for home decor for quite a while now. I've seen them all over the blogosphere. So today I headed downstairs and in less than 30 minutes whipped out a red, white and blue bunting to decorate our home. Luckily, I had a few Moda Charm Packs that I'd bought several months ago at a quilting store. Charm packs are precut 5X5 inch squares of assorted color-coordinated fabrics. For this project I just pulled out some red, white, and blue prints. I did this the lazy way, but I'm happy with it. Instead of cutting pennant shaped triangles, I just folded each charm square in half diagonally and pressed it. Then I took some red double-fold seam binding that I had on hand and placed the folded charm square into the fold of the seam binding and straight-stitched it all together. So easy!!







Here you can kind of see how it's constructed. The "flaps" of the triangles are open on the bottom, not sewn shut, but luckily this doesn't affect how they hang. A bonus of doing it this way is that you can see the print from both sides instead of the wrong side of the fabric on one side.






At each end of the new bunting, I tacked up a blue polka-dot ribbon and used some little white clothespins I had on hand to hang our new 4th of July artwork. It makes a nice display that I plan to leave up all month. When I searched for a charm pack link, I was totally drooling over all the different packs that are available. Wouldn't it be so cute to have a little bunting for every holiday? I've got to soon make a trip to my local quilt shop (or make an online order to the Fat Quarter shop I linked to!).




No comments: