Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thrifted goodies

I haven't been going to thrift stores as much lately. Since we started the chicken coop, we've been investing our money there as well as some home repairs that we are getting done this summer. So.........I'm supposed to be "watching the checkbook". However, I wanted to share a few things I haven't shared here yet. Today the boys and I ran several errands and did make a quick stop at Goodwill to pick up something I needed for a 4th of July project. I wore a skirt that I had purchased a few weeks back at the same Goodwill. I got the skirt for $3.49 and it's so cute and summery. I had to take a photo of it into our hallway mirror, so the quality isn't great, but you can see that it's a summery yellow print with a "jaunty" polka dot "ribbon" just below the waist. I've been wearing skirts this summer quite a bit. It was one of my 40th birthday goals to wear skirts more. For one thing, I HATE to wear shorts unless I'm working out. I just don't like the way they look on me and I haven't worn them for a few summers. And skirts are much cooler than capris, which is the only other thing I wear out and about in the summer. Plus, if you watch TLC's What Not to Wear, Stacy and Clinton have said many times that skirts are much more flattering on most figures than shorts. I totally agree. The A-line skirt like the one I wore today is supposedly one of the most flattering types of skirts for many different figures. Since I'm a mom of 2 boys, I also like the fact that skirts make me feel more feminine in a testosterone-driven household.


The metal AUTUMN tealight holder (you can put tealights behind it) in the next photo is one my mom bought and gave to me (THANKS, MOM!) at a garage sale we went to last weekend. They had this marked as $5, and neither my mom or I would pay $5 for it at a garage sale. I told my mom to ask if they would take less, which she did, and she got it for $3. I guess it never hurts to ask. Honestly, I usually don't try to barter a price at a garage sale myself. I usually just walk away and don't buy the item if I think it's priced too high. I try to really price things to sell when I have a garage sale. It's the only way you can truly get rid of things. If I have something that I want more for, I try to sell it on Craigslist.




The AUTUMN sign will look great on the baker's rack I bought this summer at a garage sale. I'm trying to collect items (inexpensively) to decorate my baker's rack for each season. I bought the little pumpkin pitcher below (it's only about 4 inches tall) at Goodwill today for 59 cents.




And this pumpkin tealight holder was also 59 cents at Goodwill. It is amazing how many very cute seasonal decorations you can find for a steal at Goodwill.

This little bunny statue was $1.99 from Goodwill today and will be put on the baker's rack next spring.



And finally, my original intent in going to Goodwill today was to pick up 2 pairs of blue jeans for a 4th of July project. Today blue tag clothing was 99 cents, so I made sure to pick 2 pairs with blue tags. Since I'm using them for a craft, it didn't even matter if they were mens or womens or what size they were. Tomorrow I'll show you what I did with them. I got a Ralph Lauren pair and a pair of Levi's.

No comments: