Friday, December 5, 2008

Advent Activity--Day 3--Glitter Pinecones

Our third advent activity was making glittered pinecones. I got this idea from the book Crafting Fun. I purchased this book a few months ago at Barnes and Noble. I really liked the classic activities in it. They are the type of activities that you can imagine your parents or even your grandparents doing when they were young. Click here to go to the Amazon link for this book. This craft seems so classic and timeless. I think my mom even has a glittered pinecone that she made as a child which hangs on her tree every year.




Luckily, we have pine trees in our yard. I had the boys help me gather some pinecones last weekend but didn't tell them what they were for. To make the glittered pinecones, I gave each boy a little recycled applesauce container with plain white glue in it. They used paintbrushes to paint glue on the pinecones.



Then they rolled the pinecones in a little container which had gold glitter on the bottom.



After that, we placed the pinecones into a cake pan lined with wax paper so they could dry overnight.



And finally, they were ready to hang on the tree. The biggest challenge was to get a gold cord to stay on them so we could hang them up.




I am sure that we will hang these on our tree for years to come. I will always be able to look back on this Christmas and remember when we created these sparkly little ornaments.

2 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I am sure you will have these decorations for a long time, I still have the two Egg made a few years back.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting a comment! It's good to hear from you here on the new blog!