Monday, December 29, 2008

I picked a quilt pattern!!




I picked out a quilt pattern that I found on the internet (where else??). I know it may be a little ambitious since I want to do the whole thing by hand and I haven't ever made a quilt by hand. Still, I'm not a novice seamstress, so I think I can do it. I found it on Block Central which is a VERY cool quilting website I stumbled onto. It is set up as a block-a-month project. This is the quilt from their 2006 Block of the Month series. Each individual block looks like it will be fairly straightforward to sew since there are mostly just straight seams. Getting all the corners to match up may be challenging, however. I am hoping to buy the fabric sometime within the next few days. Then I'll really be committed. The website has charts for everything such as how much of each fabric to buy, coloring pages so you can design your own color scheme, cutting charts so you can cut all the pieces ahead of time, as well as detailed patterns and directions for each block AND for finishing the quilt with borders and sashing. I am setting a goal to finish 2 blocks per month from January until June. If I stay on track, I'll have the blocks finished before summer. Then I can use the summer to sew it all together with the borders and all and be ready to start quilting it in the fall. Maybe for my 40th birthday this year I'll ask for a quilting hoop. Then I can leave it set up and quilt when I feel the urge. The quilting will take the longest amount of time. I am thinking it may take up to 2 years to finish, and I'm okay with that, although I usually like shorter term projects. I'm sure I'll find many shorter, easier projects to finish in the meantime.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks impressively complex to me, especially with a different design in each block. I admire your willingness to commit to such a long-range project!

Anonymous said...

It is pretty unlike me to start something that will take so long. But I think since it's in my heritage to make quilts, I am pretty motivated about this. I've told myself that there will be no pressure to finish it in a set amount of time. I'm just going to try to enjoy the process, long as it may be. Thanks so much for your comment!

jk said...

What an undertaking! It will be beautiful and give you such a sense of accomplishment when it's done. Thank you for all the inspiring January kids' crafting ideas!!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I bet you don't sleep for two months ;)