Saturday, December 6, 2008

Advent Activity--Day 4--Christmas Lapbooks

At Thanksgiving, the boys and I made Thanksgiving lapbooks. Lapbooking is something I have wanted to do for a while and I finally just did it. I wrote a post about our Thanksgiving lapbooks on my other blog. If you are interested, you can click here and here to read about them. When I was printing everything for the Thanksgiving ones, I printed off materials for the Christmas ones too. So our activity on Day 4 was to start working on the Christmas lapbooks.

For my youngest son, I printed all the pages from the Christmas Tot Book on the 1+1+1=1 blog. On the night we started working on his book, December 4th, he enjoyed coloring the different presents, but didn't want to color them all at one sitting. And that was fine with me. Below is a photo of him coloring. It was so cute to watch him; he was very careful to stay in the lines and had the tip of his tongue sticking out of his mouth the whole time.



For my oldest son, I printed the Christmas symbol templates I found through a link on the 1+1+1=1 blog. Click here to view and print those templates. My oldest son loves to do "research" and each different Christmas symbol has a little booklet where he can write what the symbol means. We are using the book The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel (Blair from the Facts of Life TV show for those of you who are old enough to remember). I bought that book last year and I love all the great ideas it has as well as the information. I highly encourage you to check it out.





On the night we started working on our lapbooks we only had time for my son to do one mini-book. He chose to research and write about the X in X-mas. Together we read the information in The ADVENTure of Christmas book and then he wrote about it in his mini-book. We glued the book to the inside flap of his lapbook as shown in the photo above. When we are all finished I will do a post showing all the parts of the lapbooks for both boys.


This photo shows what he wrote on the inside. For those of you who don't know, "X" is the Greek letter chi (pronounced "kie") which is the first letter in the Greek word Christos which means Anointed One or Messiah. So when people write X-Mas, they really aren't leaving Christ out of Christmas after all!!

1 comment:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I always wondered what the "x" was all about!Thanks!